Wednesday 2 January 2013

No Slaty-backed Gull - Yes to Owls

I really thought today was going to be the day I got to add Slaty-backed Gull to my Ontario list. With two individuals being seen recently I figured my chances were twice as high as normal! Other birders had the same idea but none of us managed to turn up either bird. Oh well, still a nice day on the river. A.K. mentioned a hybrid gull in his ontbirds post, and I happened to snap a photo of it later in the day. 


In between the two prolonged stints I spent staring at the rocks and breakwall above the falls, I headed over to snag the Snowy Owls that have been hanging out near St. Catherines. It was easy to find the place as there was a caravan of photographers/birders along the side of the road with one owl fairly close. 




On the way home I swung through the Fisherville area and found a lone Short-eared Owl hanging out near the raptor reserve. 




No comments:

Post a Comment