Sunday 1 April 2012

Eared Grebe at Long Point

The Eared Grebe found by Josh Vandermeulen and company was easy to spot in the channel at Sandboy Marina today. It was my first Eared Grebe for Long Point, and was a real beauty. It would seem that they saw the bird in the channel between the waterfowl viewing stand and Sandboy Marina, while I had the bird south of the marina building where the boat launch is. These channels are very close and it's easy enough for the bird to swim between the two channels via Long Point Bay. The bird seemed just as interested in me as I was in it. When I first saw the bird it was at the end of the channel with two Pied-billed Grebes but it quickly swam the length of the channel until it was no more than 10 metres from me! Below are four, full frame photos of the grebe - you can see how it progressively made it's way closer.





This last photo is cropped. I just thought it was an interesting photo...who is watching who?

Before this grebe showed up my goal for the day was to post a blog entry about two Hog-nosed Snakes that got killed by a Badger in the area. Check back soon for the photographic evidence of that interesting encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment